How Much Does an Ecommerce Website Design Service Cost?
Last Updated: August 17, 2022
On This Page
CostOwl.com note: Need a web design service at an affordable price? Fill out the 30 second questionnaire below and our web design service partners will send you free price quotes.
Ecommerce technology services provide an unprecedented number of web applications for today's business owners that offer so much more than just basic online shopping templates. Professional site developers can take your neighborhood storefront and help turn it into a globally accessible enterprise. Ecommerce has become a catch all phrase for virtual business solutions that includes multiple business categories:
- Business to Business (B2B)
- Business to Consumer (B2C)
- Business to Employee (B2E)
- Consumer to Consumer (C2C)
- Business to Machine (B2M)
What do I need to know about Ecommerce Web design Services? #
There are multiple facets to how ecommerce works, especially depending on the size and magnitude of ecommerce solutions you are looking for. Ecommerce web design services can modernize and simplify aspects of your business that will save you and your valuable customers' time and money. Some see an increase of 10% or more in profits by introducing multiple payment method options to online customers alone. Valuable applications design services may offer include (but are not limited to):
- Site hosting and maintenance
- Database Design
- Shopping cart options
- Multiple payment method systems
- Merchant Account (for real time credit transactions)
- POS (point of sale) virtual terminal
- SSL Certificate (maintains liability protection by providing security for customer payment information)
- Gateway Account (links your website to customer banking networks)
- Live auctions
- Real time customer support
- Personnel and maintenance scheduling
- Multi-chain "etail"
- Parts ordering
- SEO services
- Inventory management, etc.
Average Costs for Ecommerce Website Design Services #
The cost for a design service will depend on the size of your project and the level of customization intricacies required. Some ecommerce web designers arrive at their price by charging an hourly rate, with prices typically ranging between $50 to $250 per hour. For example, a service may offer straightforward and basic development (i.e. generic templates) with costs ranging from $1000 to $2000.
Expect to pay more for progressive services that offer more complex service options, innovative customization features, and overall better support. On average this will cost between $3,000 and $10,000 or more.
Alternatively, some vendors offer service packages with monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual fees that on average range from $7 to $300 or more. This variation in price is directly related to the type and level of service offered within a package, such as the number of allowed products, number of staff logins, bandwidth size, and memory storage size, etc. Often there is also an additional set up fee of $25 to $50. However, free set up is not uncommon, and inquire about other promotions or free trials.
On going maintenance of your site will is billed hourly. You can expect to pay between $50 to $150 per hour and up to $200 per hour for emergency service.
Other costs to consider if not already established or included with service:
- Domain Registration - $1.99- $35/ year or more
- Merchant Account - Typical costs include:
-a monthly fee of $10 to $35
-a percentage fee per transaction, usually between 1.5%-4%
-an additional flat fee per transaction
- SSL Certificate- Expect to pay $100 to $800.00 per year. Prices fluctuate by vendor and included security settings.
- Gateway Account - $10 to $25 per month, or a flat fee of up to $200.
- Credit charge reversal fees - $10-$25 each